No drainage hole? No, that’s a problem, and here’s why.
- If there’s no drainage hole, water becomes trapped in the pot and the roots are deprived of oxygen. This in turn causes root-rot and kills the main plant.
Thankfully, there are ways to still use pots with no drainage.
- Keep the plant in a container with drainage and place it in the decorative pot. Remove the plant to water it or dump the decorative pot of excess water after watering.
- Drill a hole in the decorative pot, just make sure to use the proper drill bit depending on the material of said pot.
And don’t forget these other tips!
- We don’t recommend placing rocks at the bottom of the decorative pot and still planting the plant, this can still cause root rot.
- If the decorative container is a basket or leaky plant stand, place a saucer inside first and then the plant.